Week 3: "Cool up in the sky" - Kent Shinomae


"Cool up in the sky" - Taken by Kent Shinomae (Inside an United Airlines airplane)

On the way home to Hawaii this weekend, I couldn’t help but to gaze upwards as I was trying to catch up on my sleep. I then started to analyze what the blue ambient light running across the ceiling of the plane was emitting. Not only being a light source, but also creating a feeling and mood.

This blue light creates a cool and calm environment up in the sky. It’s hard to remember the days when the ceiling of the plane was just white with no light to create this environment, due to these “mood lighting” features being so common in all planes nowadays. The blue light gives me a feeling of tranquility and peacefulness, making it easier to put myself into a relaxed state where I can sleep. I also feel that it puts minds at ease. Flying can be stressful for some. Some people have a fear of flying and definitely the light adds a sense of serenity to help with those anxious emotions that people may be feeling while up in the sky.

On my flight back home, I was able to catch up on my sleep and get some peaceful rest on the plane...until the baby two seats over from me started crying...haha.

Comments

  1. Very nice analysis of this - when LED's became usable in these applications, airlines took a clue from color theory using calming blues when they want people to sleep and then warmer colors to wake people up

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 8-Chanel Kostich-Janet Jackson Concert

Every step you take. Post 3 Jehbreal Jackson

Dougie - Week #10 Passion (My Fireflies)