Week 9: "Step into the barber shop" - Kent Shinomae


"Step into the barber shop" - taken by Kent Shinomae (Men's Grooming Salon Sky in Honolulu, HI)

Going back home for Thanksgiving gave me the opportunity to make an appointment for a much needed haircut at my usual grooming salon. While getting my haircut and sitting down on the barber chair, I noticed the reflection of the lights that felt strategically placed to create two worlds, one in the waiting area as you enter the salon and the other where grooming services are done.

I first noticed three sets of light in the waiting area. The accent lighting highlighting the frames hanging on the wall, the big chandelier-like set of lightbulbs in the center of the room, and the iconic barber shop lamp with the spiraling red and blue lines all created a warm atmosphere as I entered the salon and waited for my appointment to begin. The use of this warm yellow light had a calming sensation, as if I was sitting in a cozy living room. As I made my way to the barber chair, I noticed the colors of the lights became a more cool white, entering into an entirely separate world. The lights above me were much brighter and seemed as if they were meant to be that way, so that the hair stylist can cut hair efficiently and accomplish grooming tasks with ease. Visibility is definitely crucial when using a set of scissors and razors.

Then, finally I realized a piece of decor I had never noticed once in the two years I've been coming to this grooming salon. There was a sculpted hat design above the mirror, with a light bulb in it. This was a very unique design and I instantly came to a conclusion that it resembles the picture created when someone "gets a lightbulb" when they come up with an idea. It seemed as if the hat is empty, but when the light is on, it is full of the wonderful thoughts that just fills inside a person's head. I would have never realized these details in lighting while getting a haircut if it wasn't for this class.

Comments

  1. This post made me smile - I was thinking all throughout how you probably would not have noticed these things 9 weeks earlier and then you stated that. Nice post and so glad you are noticing these choices.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 8-Chanel Kostich-Janet Jackson Concert

Week 1 - Things Are Looking Up

Week #10 - Passion and Possibilities- Brandye Lee