Week 2 Shadows and shafts of light (Inspiration)



I am always struck by the presence and absence of light, how it guides the eye, and what it evokes emotionally. My thesis film's thematic material was mostly inspired by the presence and absence of light in both metaphorical terms and literal terms. I wanted and still want to avoid the traditional good and evil connotations, but am seeking rather to use the very practical and     
screenshot from thesis film "CANON"
equally metaphorical sense of the power of what is seen and unseen in life and in an individual. Stark contrasts and harsh lighting have a very powerful effect on me personally which I assume to be a primal response. As the usual "black and white" look for film and television is usually black and grey the visual effect is diluted or muted. The true black and white visual effect and color palette really amplify the harshness of the unnatural quality of highly focused light. I am a huge fan of film director David Lynch who has a remarkable ability to create alternate surreal hyper-universes with light. Much of his visual effects in my favorite work of his all occur in the composition and lighting of his shots with very little or rudimentary special effects. Kubrick is another director with this gift. Many of these sequences were extremely inspirational for me as it relates to mood and atmosphere in the work I strive to create.


Comments

  1. Lynch is one of my favorite directors as well. Lighting in early black and white film and TV was so amazing - the birth of Film Noir, then can color film, and it needed lots of light to work, so sourced lighting went away and did not return for many years - directors like Lynch brought it back :)

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bold, strongly sourced light can be very impactful with dance. It can work as a relationship between light and the dancer. This is another example of Light being a "character" on stage with you. Sourced light is powerful and can really amplify a piece when used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome post and great description! also, omg!!!! I love both of them. seeee, wee need to link up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 8-Chanel Kostich-Janet Jackson Concert

Every step you take. Post 3 Jehbreal Jackson

Dougie - Week #10 Passion (My Fireflies)