Dougie - Week #10 Passion (My Fireflies)


Lampyridae

This quarter I was selected as a choreographer for the New Slate Dance Concert. It was an amazing experience because it allowed me to share my passion for tap dancing. Although I wasn’t a performer  in the show, I was blessed with a cast of talented dancing musicians. It was actually the first time that I’ve been able to work with a large group of “true advance” tappers. Not only did they bring my choreographic vision to life; they inspired me with their commitment, intelligence, unity, and their aspirations to further the exposure of tap at UCI.

The name of my piece was entitled Lampyridae, which is the name of the species of insects called fireflies. The dance represented individuality within community togetherness. During this process we all became family. The glass jar in the photo with black and silver text was a gift from my beloved fireflies. Inside is a battery pack covered by a thin sheet of white wrapping tissue paper. It’s connected to a string of white LED lights that illuminates the white folded notes written by each dancer and a blue hue photo of them tapping in the piece. This gift truly touched my heart because it was thoughtful, genuine, creative and a great representation of our experience. 

“Like A Firefly, Tap Into Your Inner Passion And Let Your Light Shine.”          

Comments

  1. Very nice post - wonderful connections to your piece and the light that inspired it :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 8-Chanel Kostich-Janet Jackson Concert

Week 1 - Things Are Looking Up

Week #10 - Passion and Possibilities- Brandye Lee